Last week when I woke up I was craving sandwiches for breakfast instead of my usual bowl of bran and milk.
I checked my saved recipes and what got my attention was:
- Roasted Garlic and Tomato Cheese bread from “coupon clipping cook .com ” and
- Spinach and cheese strata from “www.smittenkitchen.com“
I updated both choices with what I had in the fridge.
Garlic- cheese pita sandwich
I got ready a garlic head and baked it for 15 minutes. Once the garlic had cooled I mixed it two table spoons of cream cheese, 1/4 cup of mozzarella and 1/4 cup of grated parmesan. I seasoned the mixture with salt, a pinch turmeric (optional) and half of teaspoon of dried dill.
I cut the pita in half and filled each half with the cheese mixture and grill it on a hot pan 5 minutes each side.
Spinach and cheese Casserole
- 300 g frozen chopped spinach,
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion( half of a red onion )
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper – optional
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg – optional
- 5 slices whole grain pita. The recipe required French or Italian bread. I did not have and I used pita instead and it worked very well.
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1cup finely grated parmesan
- 3 cups milk
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and onion and cook about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook for about 5 -10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut the pita slices in small pieces. Buttered gratin dish and add the pita pieces. Top with one-third of spinach mixture and one-third of each cheese. Repeat layering twice with remaining bread, spinach and cheese.
- Whisk eggs, milk, mustard and the spinach mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cheese and half of parmesan. Pour evenly over pita. I used a soup ladle.
- Sprinkle the remaining parmesan. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 8 hours (the recipe asked) hours or up to a day. I chilled it overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Remove the dish from the refrigerator and leave it at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Bake (uncover) for at least 45 to 60 minutes until golden brown. Let it stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
“I generally avoid temptation unless I can’t resist it.”
― Mae West