As per Wikipedia:” Frittata is an egg-based Italian dish similar to an omelette or crust-less quiche, enriched with additional ingredients such as meats, cheeses, vegetables or pasta. The word frittata is Italian and roughly translates to “fried”.
There are a few rules to follow and mistakes to avoid. Here there are a few rules found in Bon- Appetit magazine, Dawn Perry, BA digital food editor:
1. “Dairy turns an ordinary omelet into a delicious, creamy egg cake.”
2. ” For every dozen eggs you use, you’ll need a half-cup of dairy. Six-egg frittatas get a quarter-cup.”
3. “Whatever oven-safe pan you choose, be aware of how well it conducts heat. Because it retains heat well, a heavy pan like a cast-iron will continue to cook your frittata after you remove it from the oven.
4. “A frittata makes use of fully-cooked leftovers like last night’s roasted potatoes or this morning’s leftover sausage. But if you’re starting from scratch, it’s best to fully cook any addition that might release moisture into the eggs—mushrooms, tomatoes, and summer squash or zucchini are common “wet” culprits than can water down your eggs. Sauté them separately.”
5. “A good frittata should have the texture of custard: trembling and barely set. An over-baked frittata, in contrast, will have all the textural appeal of a kitchen sponge (and its interior will look strikingly similar). “You may want a deep golden-brown top,” says Perry, “But the reality of it is, when the crust is golden, the interior is over-baked.”
6.” Be sure to season your eggs with salt and pepper before adding them to the pan. A surface-level sprinkling of salt won’t penetrate the rest of the frittata”
7. ” Choose your cheese wisely: Although all cheese is delicious, not all cheese is created equal. Know what function you want your cheese to perform. Best options are cheddar, gruyère, and fontina cheese.
Zucchini, Dill and Mushrooms Frittata:
Oven Ricotta and Spinach Frittata:
Ham, Spinach, Cheddar Cheese and Green Olives Frittata:
Reg Pepper, Spinach and Mozzarella Frittata:
Capers, Parmesan Frittata: